Monday, March 30, 2009

merging traffic- circa 1970-71

merging traffic:
doug duffey- vocals/keyboards
bill dunn- vocals/keyboards/sax and flute
don garrett- vocals/bass
thumper sweeney- guitar
gary hall- vocals/sax
mike welch- drums

merging traffic had a national hit with "bit by bit'. their lead vocalist [richard shook] left the band and i was asked to replace him. i moved to little rock, arkansas [where they were based] to join them in 1970. i was 20 and under age [again] to work clubs in arkansas, but i did anyway! we mostly worked locally/statewide.
some of the original members of the band were there when i joined: phil miller [guitar] bobby Lincoln [horn] rocky hestes [organ] - but i cannot remember- people came and went-
the band changed members multiple times. clay thompson [drums] was in a while as was ty corbett [drums] and buck mcarthur [guitar] etc

when it was time to record the follow up single in nashville, it was a completely different band than when i'd joined. we did the sessions, recorded/produced by tony moon at jack clements studio in nashville- "merrillee thompson" [written by some english guys] was the A side, and "it's all right with me" a song written by myself and bill dunn was the B side; we also recorded a version of Dr. John's "when the battle is over" which wasnt used. the band broke up, shortly after the recordings.

the single was released [under my name "duffey's plantation band"] on royal america records [dick heard's label] and got chosen as 'pick hit' in record world, cashbox, and billboard magazines.
then... i had to put a new band together... and moved to nashville!

[c]2009 doug duffey

5 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Natalie and I work for The Oxford American magazine. I'm currently researching The Merging Traffic for our upcoming Southern Music Issue, but I'm having trouble getting a hold of copies of the songs. Is there any way I could get you to help me find some of your former band's songs? I would greatly appreciate it. I love this genre and I'm really excited to hear your music!

    Natalie Elliott
    editorial8@oxfordamerican.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember a Lou Cosentino? He's my current American History teacher and always tells the class stories about being in this band for a period of time. Anyway, I'd love to hear some of the songs if you ever have the time or the technology to post them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember a Lou Cosentino? He always tells our classes stories about his times in the band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elliott

    I have the single of the Merging Traffic Bit by Bit in stereo....if you want me to send it to you email me at roanokebarry@yahoo.com and it will be on its way...it is one of my favorite oldies....

    Barry Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard Shook and his family lived down the street from us way back. My be kept her and he were classmates. There was always music going at their house. I really liked Bit by bit when it came out. My great uncle Ray Winkler co-wrote welcome to my world the Jim Reeves hit song

    ReplyDelete